“It’s okay if you want to quit, as long as you don’t.” – Melissa Arnot
I had a short conversation today with a Facebook friend, talking about inspiration and determination. He’s a long distance hiker, training for a big trip. He gave me a quote that I really liked and it got me thinking about other motivational quotes I love, touching on similar themes. I’ve been doing training lately myself. One mile sprint hikes with one thousand feet of elevation gain. I repeat Melissa’s quote in my head more than once. Oh, and I’m knocking off about 30 seconds with each hike.
We’re all faced with challenges that seem daunting. But success begins with taking the first step. Somebody has to take the ring to Mordor. Frodo didn’t want to do it, but it had to be done. Along the way, he wanted to quit. We all want to quit. And though taking that first step is the hardest, staying the course seems just as difficult.
From “The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers”
Sam – “It’s like in the great stories Mr. Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn’t want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it’s only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it’ll shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you, that meant something even if you were too small to understand why. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand, I know now folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going because they were holding on to something.”
Frodo – “What are we holding onto, Sam?”
Sam – “That there’s some good in the world, Mr. Frodo, and it’s worth fighting for.”
The passage above reminds me why I continue to put one foot in front of the other, when all I want to do is go home. Yeah…I believe The Lord of the Rings was a mountaineering textbook. I’ve warned you before…
Here’s a list of more favorite quotes;
- “It’s perfectly okay to want to quit, as long as you don’t.” – Melissa Arnot, world class mountaineer. A quote so nice, I’ve written it twice. May be my favorite motivational quote.
- “Greyhounds don’t race if they are able to catch the rabbit.” – The Hike Guy, Kolby “Condor” Kirk. Never heard this one before today. Great perspective.
- “Slow and steady wins the race.” – Attributed to Aesop’s “The Tortoise and the Hare”. My brother-in-law uses this quote all the time. Has a nice cadence when said aloud. Neat huh? Think about it…
- “Don’t give up, don’t ever give up.” – Jim Valvano. Absolutely moving, motivational speech by the legendary Jimmy V. Simple. The truth should be simple.
- “You go, we go.” – Lt. Stephen “Bull” McCaffrey, Backdraft. Corny? Yes. Hokey? Yep, that too. Ridiculously inspirational? Heck YEAH! This personifies the value of not giving up on teamwork.
- “Where there is a will, there is a way.” – English proverb. Another simple way to say it like it is.
- “A man is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.” – Richard Milhous Nixon. I’m not usually one to quote presidents of any party, but history has proven this quote true time and time again.
- “The person who says something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.” – Unknown proverb.
Keep motivated and keep moving toward your goal. Whatever the goal. A little progress is better than no progress at all, right? What are your favorite quotes to keep you going?